Home Forums GiB Reflection Forum ‘God is Breath’ Reflection – Dahlia Sura

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

We thought it would be nice to create a place for our prayer circle to share contemplations, experiences, questions, etc. as we go through ‘God is Breath’ together. If you feel inspired to share a writing, poetry, or artwork send it to Shakti and she’ll add it to this page. And please feel free to comment below.

I’ll start by sharing what is drawing me (Dahlia Sura) to participate in ‘God is Breath’ at this time and what I hope to gain from these practices.

I’ve been an active meditator (and meditation counselor) for more than forty years. In the past several years I’ve been noticing that I am increasingly more distractible. It’s harder to stay focused and my concentration just isn’t as good as it used to be. Ah, the aging brain.

I know that the best solution to this jumpy, scattered mind-state is to practice more concentration/focus. So, this ‘God is Breath’ course is a perfect opportunity for me right now. I’m looking forward to both the daily, structured practices and to the support and encouragement that is inherent in our Sangha.

When I look back at the past year I can see the great benefit I got from attending the SAMA Sufi Sesshins. The alternating format of doing a dance/practice and then sitting quietly in meditation really works well for me. I’ve been taking that format into my daily life by interspersing whatever activities I have on my to-do list with stopping for periods of quiet focus on the breath. I intend to use the practices from our classes in this way.

My grandchildren were with me for an overnight on Saturday and they slept upstairs, in their own bed, for the first time. As I lay in my bed waiting for the next time that Leif, my 3 ½ year-old grandson, would awaken to call for me, I felt and sang the wazifa, Ya Raqib. It was such a beautiful, living experience of the watchful, loving awareness that we are practicing together.

How about you? Why are you here? What do you hope/intend to strengthen or let go of? Let’s evoke (bring voice to) our intentions.

• This topic was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by Shakti.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.